Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pope at St. Pats

The Mass is about to begin.  He gave a "golden rose" to the National Shrine; any chance he makes St. Patrick's Cathedral a Minor Basilica?

Also, Cardinal Egan is as much a classical music buff as the Holy Father.  I'd bet against bongos at this Mass.

OK, Mass has begun.

Geez Louise, if I see one more Priest or Deacon snapping pictures during the procession...     So much for the procession signaling that Mass has begun.  I suppose we've been reduced to Mass beginning when the "performer" hits the "stage" that the "show" starts.  I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.  Let's hope no one in the crowd leaves after Communion, since that's become commonplace, too.

Nope, no Minor Basilica, no golden rose, just a chalice & paten.  Now, don't get me wrong.  The Pope wants to give my parish a chalice and paten, I'd gladly take it.  I just thought there'd be more.  Of course, there is the apocryphal story that Pope John Paul II named Newark's Sacred Heart Cathedral a Basilica only as he and Archbishop McCarrick drove around it in the Popemobile during his 1995 visit.  So anything is still possible, though we all know that the Holy Father is much less likely to be "spontaneous" than his predecessor.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

I enjoyed watching security batting the hands away from the Holy Father.

Fr. Farley said...

The song, (no more) "3x5" by John Mayer comes to mind!
I Guess you had to be there
I Guess you had to be with me
Today I finally overcame
tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame

Padre Steve said...

The Mass was really beautiful and I was grateful to be there to concelebrate... even from pew 101! I had a great view of a pillar! The Holy Father did process right by us though! He is a blessing to the Church for sure! God bless! Padre Steve