Friday, January 06, 2012

Blessed Epiphany, everyone!

Whether you adhere to the traditional January 6th date, or you'll celebrate it on the transferred date this weekend, a blessed Twelfth-night to you all.

I apologize for being out of the blogosphere since Christmas.  Time moves fast, and I joined my fellow clergy in  enjoying a day or two (some considerably more) of "down time" following Christmas Eve and Day Masses.

I promise I'll try to do my best to pay attention to those of you hungry for the opines that come from my brain.  Until the next time, here are three gifts for you to ponder:

  • The translation transition went remarkably well, I think.  The worry about rioting in churches turned out to have the same roots in reality as those who felt coffee makers with electronic timers would stop working on January 1, 2000.
  • New Cardinals were announced today.  Congratulations to (in order of precedence) Archbishops O'Brien and Dolan.  The National Catholic Reporter has a piece in their usual cynical style, showing they either don't know their facts about the Church's Cardinals, or they do know and opted to do an article in "bitchy little nitpicky" style (is that the new Turabian?).  I won't put a link.  If you go to it they'll convince themselves that you reading it means you think like they do.  I've read it, and the people who comment are freakier than the reporter who wrote it.
  • NBC News in New York has been beautifully positive in covering the stories about the announcement of the new Cardinals (including Abp. O'Brien because he is a New York native himself).  I predict that, by the time the Consistory occurs on February, most stories in the secular press will also include the obligatory mention of pedophilia, Cardinal Law, the Crusades, Pope Joan, the Borgias, Pope Pius XII, or something down that road.

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I agree that the shift to the new translation went very well. I was kind of worried about what would happen on Christmas, but an announcement was made before Mass to alert people to changes and pew cards, and the deacon and choir loudly led the responses--and it was all good.
Would have been even better without the generous helping of dinner-table conversation about how the changes are "stupid" and "pointless" and whatever. I was seriously in the minority at that point--I'm enjoying the beauty and the poetry and the inspiration.

jbroubalow said...

On the last point, you forgot the Spanish Inquisition, which no one seems to expect.