MSNBC made a point of reminding us that the Pope is "aging" (add to that USA Today and the AP). Gotta love those reporters. You think they had anonymous sources? You think they did any research, digging out the Pope's birth certificate? Maybe they can send their ace investigators to find our President's birth certificate.
A few things to remember here:
- Yes, the Pope is 84 years old.
- The aisle of St. Peter's Basilica is long. Walking up the center aisle would be about the equivalent of walking a football field from goalpost to goalpost.
- The Pope is 5'6 (without miter). The platform raises him up another two feet, allowing people to see him other than those who squeeze onto the aisle.
- A crazy woman jumped the Pope a few Christmases ago. The platform makes it harder for nutjobs to get at him.
- Staying on the "crazy" tangent, there are mothers who literally hold their infants out into the aisle, hoping to get the Pope to stop by them. The platform stops what must be child abuse in some form.