Today's Vatican News Service blog reports about today's historic meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict. In it can be found this blurb:
After a short time of prayer they went to the apartments' library where their private meeting began around 12:30pm. It is the library where the Pope normally receives important guests at Castel Gandolfo. Their meeting lasted around 45 minutes.The world wonders what the two discussed, and I am proud to say I have a source at Castelgandolfo who has given me the highlights of the meeting:
- The Holy Father and Pope Emeritus have promised to pray for each other and remember each other at their respective Masses.
- The Holy Father and Pope Emeritus have agreed to continue speaking by telephone. No one can counsel the Holy Father better than the man who held the job himself.
- The Holy Father and Pope Emeritus have agreed on joint custody of Abp. Gänswein. Each gets 2 weekends a month, plus their name days (both Baptismal and Papal). Vacations will be discussed as the situation arises. Since Pope Francis and the Archbishop share the same given name, he gets first shot at birthdays, though Benedict will certainly be invited. The two promised not to fight in front of him.
- The two decided that Dick York was the best Darren, Sean Connery was the best James Bond, and Cheers was never the same after Shelly Long left.
- Pope emeritus Benedict let the Holy Father know which bathrooms in the Papal Apartments have drippy faucets, and presented him with a collection of menus from restaurants in the Borgo Pio neighborhood that deliver. Pope Francis presented Pope emeritus Benedict with a carton of cat food for the Castelgandolfo kitties and boxes of piano sheet music.