Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ode To My Splinter

This morning, I did some "home surgery" on my foot.

A few weeks ago, I took a splinter on the bottom of my foot here in the Rectory.  When I took my sock off, I saw a sliver of wood sticking out of my foot.  I took it out by hand, and thought I was done.  I was wrong.

It's been bugging me for about two weeks now.  Not bad, but just enough that I always knew something was still there.  Finally this morning after my shower, with bright sunlight coming through my window giving me the perfect light for home surgery, I decided to go exploring in my foot.  There it was.  Amazing how a half-centimeter sliver of wood could make itself known every time I took a step.

The moral of the story: Sometimes what we think is insignificant is significant.  Sometimes what we have dismissed as being just a small moment of our life is a big thing to our psyche.

Take care of the little things, and you'll feel better.  I know I do.

No comments: