Wednesday, November 14, 2007

That's just wrong!

Today, as I drove through a residential neighborhood back to the rectory on an overcast day, a sight caught the corner of my eye.

No, it couldn't be. Impossible. On November 14, someone already has their Christmas tree up and lit in their house for passers-by to see.

Instantly, I knew what had to be done. I had to call in the Church's elite squad dedicated to preventing the premature celebration of Christmas: the Advent Traditionalist Force (or ATF, for short). This little known corps of ecclesiastical agents give a whole new meaning to "The Church Militant". Surprise is their best weapon, and so they're not too keen of gathering publicity for themselves or being photographed (I was lucky enough to sneak this photo a few years ago while I watched them on a raid). Any of you thinking about stringing up some garland early? YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This describes my wife's family. They put up their Christiams tree last week! I need to call out the ATF police, because my subtle (and not so subtle) comments haven't been working. Great post Father!

Unknown said...

Can you send them down to maryland we have a family who have completely set up everything (lights, Christmas tree, creche) since Halloween.

matthew archbold said...

father,
remember to cover your collar when you're on top secret missions for the atf.
my kids have already started looking for santa at the mall. my one daughter told her that Santa was hibernating.

Unknown said...

Life on the Rock has Christmas Carols and a Tree....

*banging head on table*

John Seymour said...

Where can I sign up. This was the first year I noticed Christmas decorations up in the stores before Holloween!!! I felt a strong urge to tear down the decorations and drive the store clerks at Target into the street shouting "You are making the marketplace into, well, into a marketplace!!" I resisted violence.

But now that I know there is a Church-sanctioned outlet for my outrage, I can't wait. I will go out for a run to start my conditioning while waiting for the info on where I can enlist.

canon1753 said...

There is a militant wing to the ATF called the "Sons of Advent." They wondered 3rd floor McSweeney in your first year at the Mount.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

We put up our tree on what the kids call "Pink Candle Sunday." Too late for the kids to be happy, too early for me to be happy. It's our compromise. But NO decorations are brought out in my house until the First Sunday of Advent. And they stay until Epiphany.

My neighbors decorate before Thanksgiving and everything is down on December 26.